Step-by-step Guide: Creating Performance Alerts
Degradations in user experience are flagged by Plumbr and then used to send out alerts to engineers in charge of them. The workflow configured on each of these channels then takes over, which helps complete the incident management lifecycle. Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up an alerting channel and configuring alerts with thresholds on your applications.
- The first step you need to configure alerts within Plumbr is to first create channels. Channels are the medium that Plumbr will use to communicate with you.
- Please note: In order to configure an alert or create channels, ensure that you have administrator-level privileges on your account.
- Click on the Hamburger icon (≡) next to the Plumbr icon on the top-left corner within Plumbr.
- Navigate to the Settings (⚙️) button and click on it.
- Within the menu on the left, under ‘Product’ navigate to ‘Alert channels’ and click on it.
- This will open up the Alert channels. Click on ‘Add New Alert Channel’.
- Select the email channel from the dropdown. You will have the following options:
- Depending on the channel that you want to setup, use the corresponding instructions and create the channel.
Setting up the Alert
- Next, navigate to the application that you want to setup an alert for by going to https://app.plumbr.io/applications and selecting the application you want.
- Open the availability view of the application you want to setup the alert for.
- Click on the ” ⚙️ Set up alert” button on the top-right of the chart.
- This will open up the alerting configurator beneath the time-series.
- Depending on the channel that you’ve configured in the starting steps, you will see them available in the ‘Select channel’ drop down.
- As you set the threshold, you can see the Alert band (—) appear correspondingly.
- Set your threshold, select the channel, and click on the ‘Set Up Alert’ button to complete the alerting setup.
Note: There are two parameters that Plumbr alerting configurations depend upon. (a) 30-minute sliding time window. (b) A minimum of 20 interactions. These are set by default and cannot be changed by you. In case you need a different set of anchor parameters, please write to us.
If you have any queries about setting up alerts, please email us at email@example.com. Our customer success team will be happy to answer any questions you might have.